Our Lady of
Saint Francis Xavier Catholic Church's Fatima Shrine has been designated as a Jubilee Shrine by Bishop Baker for the Diocese of Birmingham in Alabama's Marian Year.
Please come join us in praying at our shrine!
Ordinary Requirements for Gaining a Plenary Indulgence
Confession within 20 days, Communion in the state of grace within 20 days. Intention to receive the indulgence. Pray for the intentions of the Pope.
To receive the indulgence on Special
· Visit one of the approved Churches, oratories, or Shrines;
· Devoutly take part in a Marian Year function or pious exercise in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary (this need not include a Mass);
· Pray the Apostles or Nicene Creed, an Our Father, and the invocation “Our Lady of Fatima, pray for us.”
To receive the indulgence every other day that there is not a special function:
· Visit one of the approved churches, chapels, oratories or shrines;
· Spend a “suitable amount of time” in prayer for the following intentions: “the conversion of sinners”, “vocations to the priesthood and religious life, “the defense of the institution of the family” (for example, offer a Rosary for these intentions);
· Pray the Apostles or Nicene Creed, an Our Father, and the invocation, “Our Lady of Fatima, Pray for us.”
How the sick, homebound, and imprisoned can receive the indulgence:
· Join themselves spiritually to one of the Marian Year celebrations;
· Pray before some small Marian image, offering their suffering to the mercy of God through Mary.
Individuals must also complete the other conditions for a plenary indulgence “as soon as possible.”