Mission and HIstory

Mission and HIstory

Mission Statement
We, the faith family of St. Francis Xavier Catholic Church, empowered by the Holy Spirit and strengthened by Prayer, Sacraments and the Word, are pilgrim people striving to become faithful and committed followers of Jesus Christ. In response to our Gospel call, we seek to be a viable and welcoming community which ministers to the People of God through responsible stewardship of our time, talent and treasure.

- Adopted by the Pastoral Council January 23, 2006 

Parish History
This is the history of our parish’s leadership, growth, and significant moments.

  • August 2013 – Dedication of New Columbarium
  • July 2007 - Rev. Robert J. Sullivan appointed pastor
  • May 15, 2005 - Dedication of Columbarium
  • September 28, 2003 - Church Dedication by Bishop Foley and 50th Anniversary celebration
  • June 29, 2003 - first Mass celebrated in new (third) church
  • July 20, 2001 – church fire
  • July 2001 - Rev. Patrick J. Sullivan appointed pastor
  • October 22, 1995 - church re-dedication
  • 1994/1995 - church renovated
  • February 1993 - Rev. Paul Rohling appointed pastor
  • July 1992 - Rev. Joseph Culotta appointed administrator of parish
  • 1987 - Rev. Henry McDaid appointed pastor
  • November 25, 1986 - new chapel dedicated in memory of Katie Rosato Bruno
  • April 20, 1986 - new parish hall dedicated
  • April 14, 1985 - ground broken for new reception hall, nursery facility
  • Early 1979 - Rev. Michael Sexton appointed pastor
  • June 8, 1974 - Rev. Msgr. William Houck appointed pastor
  • November 29, 1970 - Bishop Joseph Vath dedicated new church
  • May 10, 1970 - first Mass celebrated in new (second) church
  • August 1969 - construction of a larger church began
  • May 19, 1967 - Rev. Joseph Allen appointed pastor
  • April 19, 1959 - both buildings dedicated
  • June 1957 - Auxiliary Bishop Joseph A. Durick appointed pastor Bishop Durick began expansive program, including enlarging one-story school building into a two-story school and convent and rectory
  • April 24, 1955 - Archbishop Toolen dedicated the church
  • July 3, 1954 - first Mass held in new church
  • June 1954 - construction of all-purpose building (church and pastor's housing and four classrooms) completed
  • August 23, 1953 - first Mass held in Mountain Brook City Hall
  • July 1, 1953 - parish census revealed count of 137 families
  • June 25, 1953 - 50-acre tract of land purchased for the parish
  • June 1, 1953 - new parish officially established. St. Francis Xavier chosen as the church's patron saint. Rev. Frederick O. Hughes appointed pastor.
  • March 1953 - Archbishop Thomas J. Toolen announced plans for new parish